Thursday, October 05, 2006

The Last Day of Work

I begin at an ending. Today, there was no sun or rain finally. I was able to air dry my tent a little as I was packing a little and taking time to read a little, and call my girlfriend a little. It was not going so quick but I finished everything, including procrastination by eleven a.m. when my chief J showed up. He is a bit of a character; it is always good to see him. Alas, he is my boss so when he asks questions like "what is going on?" He isn't addressing a vague, "wazz up!" It means he has observed something out of the ordinary or rather the expected and it is my job to identify and interpret the situation just as he has. It's training and indoctrination to make me think like him. Thankfully, I don't need to do that for a while because I'm done. But, to answer his question, there were two other crewmembers in camp. One was injured, as he knew and the other was sick and was taking a personal day, and I was getting ready to go with him. It's just one of those guilt peddling, guilty until proven innocent types of deals.
There after we walked the trail, I showed him the streambeds we had diverted and explained all the thinning of the forest that had been done. I think he might have appreciated just going for a walk since he is prone to either being stuck in the truck delivering people and goods around Alaska or being stuck in the office. By the way boss, you're looking great. The trail was an old military road. It's got a hard rock bed that has serious drainage issues as the mountain's runoff uses the tread there as a streambed from time to time. Anyway, I said good-bye to everyone again and then we headed home.
I ate a cheesy brat and a cup of Joe. Listened to MFB VOL. 6. Then did my exit paperwork and received my graduation hoodie. Huzzah.

No comments: